Designer / Detailer
Take conceptual plant layouts and sketches and develop them into a set of working drawings that can be utilized to construct a facility. Design and prepare complete and accurate construction and fabrication drawings for industrial processing facilities and bulk/packaged material handling layout and design projects. Create 3D models of the steel components and equipment and produce bill of materials (BOMs) and a set of working fabrication drawings. Develop RFQ’s for the procurement of the raw materials necessary for the fabrication of the components.
- Coordinate with Project Managers, Engineers, Designers and Detailers to produce the following types of drawings for use by field and fabrication personnel:
- Site Development drawings
- Process Flow Diagrams
- Equipment Layout drawings
- Concrete construction drawings
- Steel construction and fabrication drawings
- Sheet metal fabrication drawings
- Optimize material and labor in designs of the components and equipment
- Industrial ventilation drawings (dust control systems)
- Able to work independently.
- Participate in design review meetings and report weekly progress for weekly project meetings.
- Provide input to estimating as to number of hours required to complete drawings for a project based on a given scope of work.
- Produce preliminary steel layout and minor platform design.
- Perform minor calculations for system design (surge bin sizing, spouting size selection, dust collection CFM requirements, and minor conveyor sizing).
- Maintain a working knowledge of construction and fabrication means and methods.
- Maintain a working knowledge of construction and fabrication nomenclature (i.e. weld symbols, rebar callout abbreviations, steel drawing abbreviations, etc.).
- Modify drawings as directed by engineer or architect at the conclusion of a project to match what was actually built in the field - “As-Builts”.
- Minor coordination with vendors gathering equipment dimensions & specifications. Check equipment approval drawings for fit within a system.
- Participate in the development of standard details and standard parts and components.
- Assist in coordination with vendors supplying materials to the facility.
- Assist in troubleshooting detailing and fabrication issues.
- Maintain project drawing files according to Bratney Companies standards and procedures.
Must be proficient with Bratney Companies current version of AutoCAD. Must possess strong 2D drafting skills, 3D visualization skills and 3D modeling aptitudes. Must possess and maintain a basic understanding of building code requirement as it pertains to facility layout. Must be accurate, organized, self-motivated, cooperative, and possess a strong work ethic.
Work requires an educational background sufficient to design and modify electronic working drawings. Normally acquired through an Associate's Degree in Design, Architecture or a related field, with course work in computer-aided design. Must possess a working knowledge of industrial plant design and operation.
Prefer a minimum of three years of experience as a designer, preferably in the food/agricultural sectors. Some travel to jobsites.